Submitted by Chuck Cady
This is an easy recipe for soft, chewy cookies.
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup molasses
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup granulated sugar (for dipping)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream shortening, brown sugar, molasses and egg in large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, and spices together. Instead of sifting, you can whisk dry ingredients together thoroughly.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, blending until mixed together. Dough can be chilled for easier handling.
- Shape the dough into small balls the size of whole walnuts. Roll balls in sugar, place on baking sheet. Bake for 8-9 minutes.
- Cool on sheet for one minute, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
Original recipe at http://picky-palate.com/2007/11/09/soft-perfect-gingersnaps/