Submitted by Susan Allred
Originally in the 2005 cookbook
2 tbsp dry yeast
1 cup water
1 tsp sugar
2 cups milk, scalded
2/3 cup shortening, melted
3/4 cup sugar
5 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
10-11 cups sifted enriched flour
- Soften active dry yeast in warm water (110 degrees F) or compressed yeast in lukewarm water (85 degrees F).
- Add 1 tsp sugar to yeast mixture.
- Add milk, cooled to lukewarm, shortening, 3/4 cups sugar and salt.
- Add eggs; beat well.
- Add flour to make soft dough. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Knead on lightly floured surface till smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once to crease surface, and cover; store in refrigerator.
- Shape rolls about 2 hours before serving.
- Let rise till double in bulk.
- Heat oven to 425̊F.
- Bake 15–20 minutes.
- Punch down unused dough and return to fridge.
Makes 4-5 dozen medium rolls.