2 pounds fresh firm zucchini
2 small onions
1 sweet red pepper
1 sweet green pepper
1/4 cup salt
3 cups vinegar (4-6% acidity)
1 tsp turmeric
2 cups sugar
2 tsp mustard seed
1 tsp celery seed
- Wash zucchini and cut into thin slices.
- Peel and cut onions into quarters, then slice thinly. Slice peppers thinly.
- In large pan combine zucchini, onion, peppers, and salt.
- Cover with ice cubes and let stand 2 hours. Drain thoroughly.
- Bring remaining ingredients to boiling.
- Pour over vegetables. Let stand 2 hours.
- Bring all ingredients to boiling point and heat for 5 minutes.
- Pack, boiling hot, into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Adjust caps.
- Process 15 minutes in boiling water bath.
Makes 5 half pints