1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups sifted powdered sugar (1 lb)
2 tbsp milk
- Cream butter and shortening. Add vanilla.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well.
- Scrape sides and bottom well.
- Add milk after all sugar has been added.
- Store in airtight container up to two weeks. Re-whip when used.
Makes 3 cups of decorator’s icing.
- You may add some other flavor to your icing other than vanilla. For instance, you can go on to add almond, strawberry preserves, chocolate powder or any other flavor that you want to add to your cake.
- In order to make the icing really attractive, opt for some food colors such as some gel or powder coloring.