Originally in the 1994 cookbook
2 pounds potatoes (about 6 medium)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cube margarine
2 1/4 cups milk
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash potatoes; pare thinly and remove eyes.
- Cut potatoes into thin slices to measure about 4 cups.
- In greased 2 quart casserole pan, arrange potatoes in 4 layers, sprinkling each of the first 3 layers with 1 tbsp onion, 1 tbsp flour, 1/4 tsp salt, dash of pepper, and dot with remaining margarine.
- Heat milk just to scalding; pour over potatoes.
- Cover; bake 30 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 60-70 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
To reduce baking time, after potatoes are chopped up, microwave in covered bowl on high for about 10 minutes. Afterwards, spread in pan according to directions. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender and hot.