Originally in the 1996 cookbook
1 pound ground beef
1 medium onion
1-1 1/2 package spaghetti sauce
2 cups canned tomatoes, slightly blended
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
1 cup water
8 lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
2 cups lowfat cottage cheese
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown beef and onion; drain.
- Stir in seasonings, tomatoes, paste, and water.
- Mixture may be used immediately, but for a richer flavor, simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Mix egg, parsley flakes, Parmesan cheese, and cottage cheese.
- In a 9×13 inch pan, layer 1 cup sauce, 4 dry noodles (break to fit), and 1/2 the cottage cheese-egg mixture, spreading evenly over the noodles.
- Repeat the sauce, noodles and cottage cheese mixture.
- Top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and for 50-60 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Let stand 10 minutes, top with mozzarella cheese, and serve.
Cooking in a Microwave
- Cover with plastic wrap and cook on HIGH for 12 minutes.
- Cook at 50% for 18-22 minutes, or until noodles are tender, turning dish twice.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.