Submitted by Chris Fowler
Originally in the 1996 cookbook
1 fryer chicken or 6 chicken legs, cut and skinned
8 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp minced dried onion
4 carrots, sliced
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning (optional)
- Wash chicken. Place in a large pan and add water, salt, onion, carrots and seasoning. Bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Defat broth if needed.
- Drop dumplings by spoonfuls into boiling broth with chicken and vegetables.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook 10 minutes, uncovered, and 10 minutes tightly covered.
- Remove from heat and serve.
2 cups white flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 scant tsp salt
2-3 tbsp shortening
1 cup milk
- Fix flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Cut shortening into dry mix.
- Stir in milk with a fork until dumplings are mixed
Makes 6-8 servings
Cooking dumplings in a pot with a tight-fitting lid is important for making light dumplings.