1 tsp margarine
1/2 pound hamburger or pork
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/2 cup raisins
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 cup slivered almonds
– pie crust for double-crust 9-inch pie
– salad oil (optional)
- In a wide frying pan, melt margarine over medium heat; add meat and cook, stirring often, until meat loses its pink color. Drain off excess fat.
- Stir in garlic salt, tomato sauce, raisins, cinnamon, salt, cloves, vinegar, and sugar.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 20 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add almonds; cool.
- Prepare pie pastry.
- Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness and cut out 3 inch circles for little turnovers, 4 or 5 inch circles for large turnovers.
- Spoon filling mixture evenly on one side of each pastry round, moisten edges of pastry, fold over, and seal.
- Heat at least 1 inch of oil to 370 degrees F and cook turnovers until brown on both sides, or heat oven to 400 degrees F, baking for 15-20 minutes or until brown.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen small or 15 large turnovers.