Originally in the 1996 cookbook
2-3 carrots, diced or thinly sliced
1 10 ounce package frozen peas
1 tbsp butter
1 small onion, finely minced
3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken or turkey broth
1 cup skim milk
1 tsp whole thyme leaves, crushed
5-6 cups cooked and cubed chicken
1 recipe biscuits
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook carrots for 3 to 5 minutes in a small amount of water.
- Add peas, and let stand for 3 minutes, Drain.
- Melt butter in a medium-sized frying pan.
- Add onion and celery, and saute. Add flour. Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk.
- Add thyme, and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
- Combine vegetables, gravy, and chicken.
- Place in a large 9×13 baking dish or two smaller ones, and top with biscuits.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until biscuits are brown.
Makes 12-14 servings.