Originally in the 1991 cookbook
4 ounces or 3 tbsp unsweetened chocolate
2/3 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease baking pan, 13x9x2 inches.
- Melt chocolate and shortening in large sauce pan over low heat. Remove from heat.
- Mix in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread in pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or until brownies start to pull away from sides of pan. Do not overbake.
- Cool slightly. Cut into bars.