Originally in the 1991 cookbook
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (1/3 cup cocoa)
2 tbsp corn syrup
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp margarine
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- Butter loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
- Combine sugar, milk, chocolate, corn syrup and salt in 2-quart saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, to 234 degrees F on candy thermometer (or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water).
- Remove from heat; add margarine.
- Cool mixture to 120 degrees F. Without stirring (bottom of pan will be luke-warm.)
- Add vanilla; beat vigorously and continuously 5-10 minutes with wooden spoon, until candy is thick and no longer glossy. (Mixture will hold its shape when dropped from spoon.)
- Quickly stir in nuts. Spread mixture evenly in buttered pan. Cool until firm.
- Cut into 1-inch squares.
Brown Sugar Fudge
Substitute 1 cup brown sugar (packed) for 1 cup of the granulated sugar and omit chocolate.