Originally in the 1991 cookbook
2 2/3 cups sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup broken nuts
- Stir sugar, corn syrup and water over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Cook, without stirring, to 260 degrees F on candy thermometer (or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball).
- In mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Continue beating while pouring hot syrup in a thin stream into egg whites.
- Add vanilla; beat until mixture holds its shape and becomes slightly dull. (Mixture may become too stiff for mixer).
- Fold in nuts. Drop mixture from tip of buttered spoon onto waxed paper.
Makes 4 dozen candies
– Try to make your candy on dry days.
– The candy does not set as well on humid or rainy days.