Originally in the 1991 cookbook
1 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 tsp salt
3-4 tbsp cold water
2 cups flour
2/3 cup shortening
1 tbsp salt
6-7 tbsp cold water
- If baking, heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour and salt.
- Cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork.
- Push to the side of the bowl. Repeat until all is moistened.
- Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface flatten dough with hands.
- Roll dough from center to edge, forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Ease pastry into pie pan, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond pan, and flute.
- If baking is necessary, prick bottom and sides of pastry. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown.