Originally in the 1994 cookbook
1 1/2 cubes butter or 3/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour, stirred and measured
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter; add sugar gradually. Beat until fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses, and blend together
- Stir or sift together flour, baking soda, salt and spices; blend into butter mixture.
- Roll small portions of dough into balls about the size of walnuts; roll in granulated sugar. Place on ungreased baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes or until they have melted and puffed. For crisper cookies, bake until they have flattened.
Cookies will bake down to form perfect rounds with traditional gingersnap cracks on top.