Originally in the 1991 cookbook
2 3/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1 cup milk or dairy sour cream
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts, optional
– Browned Butter Glaze (below)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix thoroughly all ingredients except glaze. If dough is soft, cover and chill.
- Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes or until almost no imprint remains when touched with finger.
- Immediately remove from baking sheet; cool.
- Spread with browned butter glaze.
Browned Butter Glaze
- Heat 1/3 cup margarine over low heat until golden brown.
- Remove from heat; blend in 2 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Stir in 2-4 tbsp hot water until of spreading consistency
Makes about 4 1/2 – 5 dozen cookies