Originally in the 1991 cookbook
One of the good recipes from the old Betty Crocker Cookbook. In that cookbook, it’s called New Starlight Cake.This is a very versatile recipe and very delicious.
2 cups flour
1½ cups sugar
3½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup shortening
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour baking pan.
- Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, ⅔ cup of the milk, and vanilla into large mixing bowl. Blend ½ minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat 2 minutes high speed scraping bowl constantly.
- Add remaining milk and eggs; beat 2 minutes high, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into pans. Bake 9×13 for 35-40 minutes, layers for 30-35 minutes, and cupcakes for 20 minutes.