Submitted by Chris Fowler
Originally in the 1991 cookbook
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup flour
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease bottoms of 12 medium muffin cups.
- Beat egg; stir in milk and oil. Mix in remaining ingredients just until flour is moistened. Batter should be lumpy.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Immediately remove from pan.
Makes 12 muffins.
The secret to perfect, tender muffins is in the lumps. Muffin batter should be gently stirred just until all the dry ingredients are moistened, resulting in a lumpy batter. Resist the temptation to vigorously stir muffin batter until it is smooth. The lumps disappear during baking. Over-stirring creates tough muffins with pointed tops.
Stir in 1 cup grated apple with the oil and add 1/2 tsp cinnamon with the flour. Sprinkle with nut-crunch topping: mix 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup broken nuts and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Bake 25-30 minutes.
Fill muffin cups only 1/2 full; drop 1 tsp jelly in center of each and add batter to fill cups 2/3 full.
Increase the following ingredients: 1 cup milk, 2 cups flour, and 1 tsp salt. Decrease the following: 1/4 cup sugar.