Originally in the 1996 cookbook
2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp cream of tartar
¼ tsp salt
½ cup shortening
⅔ cup milk
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in the center, add all of milk. Stir just until mixture clings together.
- Knead gently on a lightly floured surface. Pat or roll to ½ inch thick.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 10-12 biscuits.