Submitted by Chris Fowler
Originally in the 1991 cookbook
This recipe came from Frances Fowler, Jon Fowler’s Mom.
2 cans evaporated milk
4 heaping tbsp butter flavored shortening
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp salt
4 cups boiling water
3 tbsp dry active yeast
4-5 cups sifted flour
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F
- In very large mixing bowl, mix milk, shortening, sugar, salt, water, and yeast. Let yeast dissolve.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time, stirring thoroughly until batter looks like thick pancake mix.
- Cover and set aside to rise until double in size; approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Add remaining flour.
- Turn out onto floured board. Knead thoroughly.
- Divide and shape into loaves. Put into greased bread pan. Allow to rise until bread reaches top of pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.