Submitted by Chris Fowler.
Originally in the 1991 cookbook
Like many recipes in the cookbook, this one comes from Mom’s famous black cookbook. This recipe was a staple for the Holidays. It is easy to make and was always a hit.
1/2 cube margarine
1/4 cup sugar + 1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup wheat flour (fine) or graham cracker crumbs
1 6 ounce package of lemon jello
2 cups boiling water
1 15 ounce can evaporated milk, chilled
1/3 cup lemon juice
- Make crust by melting margarine, ¼ cup sugar, and flour or graham cracker crumbs.
- Press crumb mixture into large dish
- Put 2/3 of mixture in 9×13 inch pan, reserving rest for topping.
- Mix together jello and boiling water. After jello has dissolved, add 3/4 cup of cold water.
- Chill jello until mixture begins to set.
- After jello has set, whip evaporated milk untill stiff.
- Pour mixture into crust-lined dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup crust.
- Place in refrigerator until firm.
NOTE: Can must be refrigerated for 2 hours or in freezer for 1/2 hour before being whipped.