Submitted by Chris Fowler.
Originally in the 1991 cookbook
This is a family favorite. While the family lived in Port Orchard, WA, we made this several times a week.
1/2 cup honey
2 cups hot water
1 cube margarine
3 tbsp yeast
2 cups dried milk
2 cups white flour
2 cups wheat flour
1 tsp salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix in a bowl honey, hot water, and margarine. When the water is lukewarm add yeast. Stir once, then wait until yeast bubbles to surface.
- Mix 2-4 cups of flour or until the dough is smooth.
- Knead the dough 20 minutes or until supple.
- Put in a greased loaf pan. Let rise on top of the stove while the oven is heating.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan and cool on cloth or rack.