Submitted by Chris Fowler
Originally in the 1991 cookbook
While we are growing up Mom used to make this for Christmas morning and other special occasions. I believe the recipe came from the old red Betty Crocker cookbook Mom used while we were growing up. The holiday’s just aren’t the same without Mom’s coffee cake.
My family loves it too. In fact, as I look at the plastic cover over that page in my cookbook the recipe is almost unreadable. I can see spills in at least 8 different spots, one of which I had to scrape off to read the ingredients. I usually double the recipe and cook it in a 9×13 pan so we don’t run out. Now that is a sign of a great recipe!
1 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
– Topping (below)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease round layer pan, 9×1 1/2 inches, or square pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches.
- Blend all ingredients except topping; beat vigorously 1/2 minute. Spreead in pan.
- Sprinkle Topping over batter.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until wooden toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Mix 1/3 cup brown sugar (packed), 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 3 tbsp firm butter or margarine until crumbly.